Welcome to Year 3!
The children have had a great start to the new school year and are really getting into the swing of things!
We are very lucky to have two Teaching Assistants in Year 3, Mrs Dodd and Miss Hespe. They both work every morning supporting the children with their work. Mrs Bishop will teach the class on a Wednesday morning.
We have lots of things planned for this busy, jam packed Year 3 such as Stone Age, Our Local Area, learning about festivals and places of worship, how to play football and gymnastics. We also have lots to learn in Literacy and Numeracy and will be enjoying our Guided Reading sessions where we get to read lots of different books and complete fun activities based on the book we are reading at the time.
Some useful information:
- Home Reading – the children will have brought home their Home Reading Record book and a school reading book now. We encourage the children to read as much as possible and to read a range of genre’s. Each Monday the children should hand in their Home Reading Record books for the teacher to look at and sign. These should have 4 entries of reading at home for that week, which should be dated, signed and have a comment. Every time a child reads 4 times a week for 4 weeks, they will get a sticker in their record book. Once the child has finished reading their school book, they are encouraged to change it, as often as they need to, even if this isn’t on a Monday.
- Homework Diaries – these are a great communication tool between teacher and parents. So please take a look in them regularly. They should be handed in on a Monday for the teacher to look at and sign. The parent needs to sign the week previously, as an acknowledgement that they have seen what homework has been set or the homework has been completed.
- Spellings – are tested on a Wednesday and a new spelling list is stuck into the child’s Home Spelling Book on the same day. These need to be learnt throughout the next week and practised at least 3 times in their Home Spelling Book.
- Cracking Times Tables – these are tested on a Wednesday. The children are having a great time working through the levels and are enjoying the rewards too! Please see the document below for more information on the times tables needed for each level.
- PE & Games – at the moment we have PE/Games on a Thursday and Friday. We are very lucky this term to have a coach come on a Friday and teach us Gymnastics. Please make sure that PE kits are in school all the time and that hair is tied back and no earrings are worn. Swimming will be next half term.
- Uniform – Children are expected to look smart and presentable in their uniforms. Hair should be tied back with plain bands and hair clips should complement the school colours.
- Library -Year 3 will vist the library on a Wednesday afteoonn. The children will need to remember to bring in their library books then, so that they can return them and choose new ones.
I am really looking forward to the school year and if any one has any worries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me through the school office or pop a note in your child’s Homework Diary.
Year 3 Class Teacher