Welcome to Year 5's class page!
Welcome back for the Summer Term. We have had an action packed Spring term and it continues in the same vein for the Summer. The children were superb on our Residential at Green Park and I look forward to seeing all the huge improvements in their thinking skills and teamwork this term. It will certainly be needed as we have lots going on and we need to make sure that we are ready for Yr6!
Highlights this term include an Artist in Residence day where we will be focusing on Pop Art. Our Science will involve lots of gardening skills as we look at life cycles and the Vikings are coming to invade during our Topic! With hopefully improved weather, we will also be able to use the outdoor learning environments more. There will also be the sponsored swim, Sports Day and our class assembly to name a few things coming up.
We have a great team in Year 5 with Mrs Bevins in every morning. We are also lucky enough this term to have a Sports Coach doing some Basketball with us and as always Mr Bailey to teach our Swimming. Mrs Farrelly will be taking the class on a Wednesday afternoon with their 'Wider Opportunities' Music experience. Madame Johnson will also be supporting us for our French lessons.
The Curriculum News will be out shortly with more details about what we will be doing this term. Our Anglo-Saxons v Vikings topic will incorporate lots of History, Geography and we also hope to link it in with many other areas and let the children take ownership of their own learning as they become more independent. With the New Curriculum coming in it is an exciting time and one I hope we enjoy in Year 5.
Other Useful Information:
- PE and Games will be on Wednesdays and Thursdays this half term. These sessions will be Basketball with a Sports Coach on a Wednesday and Swimming on a Thursday.
- Reading Records and Homework diaries will be checked on a Monday and I look forward to giving out lots of Reading Reward stickers.
- Our class Library slot is on a Friday so make sure it is in school if it needs changing.
- Maths homework will be set on Tuesday for completion by Thursday.
- Literacy homework will be set on Friday for the following Tuesday.
- Spellings will be set and tested on a Friday.
- Other homework will be set as required but I would strongly recommend lots of times tables practise and reading and comprehension if you would like to do more.
- Homework diaries will need to go between home and school daily so please check them regularly and feel free to use this as a method to communicate with me if there are any short messages.
'Working together to be the best we can.'