Autumn Term 2017
September is here!
A very warm welcome to a new school year, with lots of new challenges and exciting learning ahead. I am looking forward to getting to know the new Year 5's and will enjoy watching the children grow and develop, through being appropriately challenged across the curriculum. There is a lot to look forward to this year, from our residential trip to Green Park in the Spring term to fun in-school annual events. Alongside these activities there will be plenty of hard, but enjoyable, work and I will expect the children to strive in their learning, in order to achieve their full potential in everything they do.
The first topic the children can look forward to is the Anglo-Saxons which is great fun, including our first trip in the second half of the Autumn term which is linked to this area of our learning.
Staff in Year 5:
Teacher- Miss Campanini
Teacher (Wednesday afternoons) – Mrs Knight-Thomas. She will be teaching PSHE and Outdoor PE for this half term.
Teaching Assistant (Monday-Friday mornings)- Mr Schofield
I am looking forward to working alongside these members of staff, who have a lot of experience between them.
The Curriculum News for Autumn will be sent out at the beginning of the Autumn term and it will outline the topics and areas of study for this term, which you may like to explore at home as well.
Other Useful Information:
· PE and Games will be on Monday and Wednesday this half term. Please make sure that your child’s kit is in school for the correct times. We will be having Dance indoors on a Monday run by a Sports Agency and Games will be Volleyball on a Wednesday, outside when we can. It is important that the children come to school with the correct PE kit. This should include trainers (clean trainers or plimsolls for indoor lessons), black shorts and a house T-shirt. On colder days, children can wear jogging bottoms and jumpers outside.
- Swimming will be on a Thursday in the 2nd half of every term and will replace one, out of the two, PE sessions.
· Reading Records will be checked on a Monday and I look forward to giving out lots of Reading Reward stickers. Parents are asked to read and discuss texts with children and record up to 4 sessions a week in the Reading Record Book.
· Our class library slot is on a Wednesday this half term, so this will be the day for changing your books, if necessary.
· Maths and Literacy homework will both be set of Friday, due in for the following Friday.
· Spellings will be set and tested on a Thursday, sometimes based on a spelling rule.
· Other homework will be set as required, but I would strongly recommend lots of times tables practice and reading and comprehension if you would like to do more.
· Homework diaries will need to be checked and signed weekly and will be due in on a Monday with the Reading Record. Feel free to use this as a method to communicate with me, if need be.
'Working together to be the best we can.'