Welcome to the Year 4 page!
Welcome back! I hope you have all had a fantastic Summer break and are ready to enjoy our learning together.
We start the year off with an exciting study of Ancient Greece! We will be discovering all about life in this ancient civilization and learn how their lives were both different and similar to our own lives today. As we explore Greek culture, we will learn all about their cities, houses, fashion, their famous myths, as well as a whole range of other topics. We may even get to try Ancient Greek food!
In Literacy lessons we will be developing both our narrative and non-fiction writing, considering our use of openers and conjunctions, and using specifically chosen texts to inspire our writing. This term we will focus on myths, fables and forms of poetry.
In Maths this term, our lessons will primarily focus on strengthening our understanding of place value, addition and subtraction. We will all be aiming to gain a strong foundation which will allow us to use our knowledge creatively and flexibly, in new or unfamiliar situations.
Our learning in Science this Term will be on the topic of States of Matter. Through observations and investigations, we will be exploring the differences between materials and learning how and why they can change from one state of matter to another.
In Year 4 we all want to enjoy our learning and try our best in everything we do. We aim to set a good example throughout the school by incorporating our core School and British values in everything that we do and by developing Growth Mindsets! We act as role models for younger children and support each other throughout our learning.
Year 4 at Cedar Park are currently taught by Mr Spurway and are supported by several fantastic teaching assistants. During the year, we will aim to supplement classroom learning through a variety of exciting experiences that will include special theme days, trips, visitors and outdoor learning.
We hope that all children enjoy Year 4, approach learning in a positive way and develop their independence in order to become enthusiastic, life-long learners.
- PE this term will include swimming (which takes place on Thursday), gymnastics and football (Monday). The children will therefore need both their indoor and outdoor PE kit in school this term.
- Reading Records will be checked on a Monday.
- Topic homework will be set on Friday for the following Tuesday.
- Spellings will be set and tested on a Tuesday.
- Other homework will be set as required but I recommend the children continue to spend time learning multiplication tables and reading regularly.
- Have you seen the Kids’ Zone? Play games and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourite!
Any questions or queries, please feel free to make an appointment through the office, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.