Welcome to the Year 4 page!
Welcome back! I hope you have all had a fantastic Christmas break and are ready to enjoy our learning together. A big thank you to the everyone for the very kind gifts to myself and the teaching assistants!
This Term we are learning all about rivers. Our studies will allow children to explore the water cycle, identify major rivers across both the UK and wider World, and consider the main features of rivers. As part of our work, we will also learn how rivers have impacted human settlements and, conversely, how humans have impacted rivers and river eco-systems.
In Literacy lessons we will be continuing to develop both our narrative and non-fiction writing. In grammar sessions, we will be identifying and using adverbials, working to accurately punctuate speech and considering how apostrophes can be used to show possession.
In Maths this term, our lessons will primarily focus on fractions and decimals. We will all be aiming to gain a strong foundation which will allow us to use our knowledge creatively and flexibly, in new or unfamiliar situations. Later in the term, we will also be studying shape, symmetry and coordinates.
Our learning in Science this Term will continue on the topic of States of Matter and the way this affects the water cycle and rivers. Following this, we will move on to a new topic of Electricity.
In Year 4 we all want to enjoy our learning and try our best in everything we do. We aim to set a good example throughout the school by incorporating our core School and British values in everything that we do and by developing Growth Mindsets! We act as role models for younger children and support each other throughout our learning.
Year 4 at Cedar Park are currently taught by Mr Spurway and are supported by several fantastic teaching assistants. During the year, we will aim to supplement classroom learning through a variety of exciting experiences that will include special theme days, trips, visitors and outdoor learning.
We hope that all children enjoy Year 4, approach learning in a positive way and develop their independence in order to become enthusiastic, life-long learners.
- PE this half-term will swimming (which takes place on Thursdays) and badminton (Monday). The children will therefore need their indoor PE kit in school this term.
- Reading Records will be checked on a Monday.
- Topic or Literacy homework will be set on Friday for the following Tuesday.
- Spellings will be set and tested on a Tuesday.
- We visit the Library every Wednesday afternoon
- Other homework will be set as required but I recommend the children continue to spend time learning multiplication tables and reading regularly.
- Have you seen the Kids’ Zone? Play games and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourite!
Any questions or queries, please feel free to make an appointment through the office, or send an email to email@example.com, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.