HOME LEARNING PROJECTS:
This half term, we have been creating a variety of home learning projects at home, including Space Packs fit for an Astronaut, including a diary entry and food diary too. We have also created some treasure maps using 6 figure grid references and finally, we have designed and created amazing 3D models of the solar system- see some pictures of these below.
Alongside these, we have been reading with a partner and together created a project booklet based on what you had read- you will see these in our portfolios at the end of the year!
I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you share your projects and the quality has been amazing- Mrs Gow was impressed when we showed them in assembly too. Well done Year 5, keep up the hard work at home :)
ROYAL ALBERT HALL
We had a busy, yet memorable day at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday 18th March 2019. Our big day had arrived.
We'd been working on our songs most days at school, since January, to perfect them and make them performance ready!
The children really pulled it off in the moment and we felt such an immense feeling as the crowd responded to our singing.
Thank you to the parents for being a wonderful audience and supporting us from home!
See some pictures below to see what happened on this special day!
Well done Year 5 :)
World Book Day
Year 5 had a great day dressing up as our favourite book characters.
We did some blogging about our reading online, we learnt facts about World Book Day and reading around the world in our comprehension, we did some guided reading, we met up with Year 2 and did some shared reading- we were very impressed with how well they could read! Finally, at the end of the day, we played "Book Taboo" in teams to try and describe/guess a book name/author/genre without saying the clue words.
See photos below of our fabulous costumes! :)
We had great fun creating a 3D model of what contour lines look like on a map!
It was interesting to see how the lines went from 2D lines on a map, to a mini mountain or hill.
We chose a theme for our mountain/hill. Some of us chose a snowy/cold/wintery theme, some made the mountain into a volcano with lava. We had jungle themes and different seasons too! All were different and unique and very creative indeed.
*SEE ATTACHMENTS BELOW FOR SPARE COPIES OF HOME LEARNING, INCLUDING SPELLING, AND READING LISTS AS WELL AS THE RECENT CURRICULUM NEWS*
Staff in Year 5:
Teacher- Miss Campanini
Teacher (Wednesday afternoons) – Mrs Bevins who will be teaching French/RE/PSHE/PE in the summer term.
Monday (all day)- Miss Cherry (student/work experience)
Tuesday and Thursday morning- Mrs Sirrell
Friday morning- Mrs Meek
Please ensure that the children have the correct equipment in school inside a small pencil case. Firstly, 2 or 3 working blue handwriting pens are essential; in case any run out it is useful to have spares, or spare cartridges for fountain pens. As well as this: a pencil, sharpener, rubber and 30cm ruler (if they want their own). Any colouring pencils, felt tips or gel pens are not necessary, the children have access to these in school when they need them.
Other Useful Information:
· PE and Games will be on Mondays and Thursdays this half term. Please make sure that your child’s kit is in school for the correct times. We will be having Gym indoors on a Monday and Games will be Swimming on a Thursday. It is important that the children come to school with the correct PE kit. This should include trainers (clean trainers or plimsolls for indoor lessons), black shorts and a house T-shirt. On colder days, children can wear jogging bottoms and jumpers outside. For swimming: hats, goggles, towel and full length swimming costume (for girls), swimming shorts for boys. Any child who cannot remove their earrings will not be able to swim in the pool.
· Reading Records and Home Learning diaries will be checked on a Monday and we will look forward to giving out lots of Reading Reward stickers. Parents are asked to read and discuss texts with children and record up to 4 sessions a week in the Reading Record Book per week.
· Our class Library slot is on a Tuesday, so this will be the day for changing your books, if necessary.
· Spellings will be given out on a Thursday for a test on the following Thursday. Sometimes the spellings will be based on a rule, sometimes the spellings do not follow a rule but are National Curriculum 'tricky' words that the children need to be familiar with for their SATS next year.
· For this half term, I will be setting project home learning where one piece will be due every 2 weeks and the children can choose more freely what they would like to do.
· Other home learning will be set as required, but I would strongly recommend lots of times tables practice (Times Table Rock Stars) and reading and comprehension if you would like to do more.
· Home learning diaries will need to go between home and school daily so please check them regularly and feel free to use this as a method to communicate with me, if needs be.
'Working together to be the best we can.'