Hello and welcome to Year 5!
*SEE ATTACHMENTS BELOW FOR SPARE COPIES OF HOME LEARNING, INCLUDING SPELLING, AND READING LISTS AS WELL AS THE RECENT CURRICULUM NEWS*
September is here!
A very warm welcome to a new school year, with lots of new challenges and exciting learning ahead. I am looking forward to watching the children grow and develop, through being appropriately challenged across the curriculum. There is a lot to look forward to this year, from our residential trip to Green Park to fun in-school annual events. Alongside these activities there will be plenty of hard, but enjoyable, work and I will expect the children to strive in their learning, in order to achieve their full potential in everything they do.
Staff in Year 5:
Teacher- Miss Campanini
Teacher (Wednesday afternoons) – Mrs Knight-Thomas, who will be teaching RE, French and Outdoor PE for this half term.
Teaching Assistant (every morning)- Mrs Sirrell
Please ensure that the children have the correct equipment in school inside a small pencil case. Firstly, 2 or 3 working blue handwriting pens are essential; in case any run out it is useful to have spares, or spare cartridges for fountain pens. As well as this: a pencil, sharpener, rubber and 30cm ruler (if they want their own). Any colouring pencils, felt tips or gel pens are not necessary, the children have access to these in school when they need them.
Other Useful Information:
· PE and Games will be on Mondays and Wednesdays this half term. Please make sure that your child’s kit is in school for the correct times. We will be having Dance indoors on a Monday with a Dance coach and Games will be Volleyball on a Wednesday, outside when we can. It is important that the children come to school with the correct PE kit. This should include trainers (clean trainers or plimsolls for indoor lessons), black shorts and a house T-shirt. On colder days, children can wear jogging bottoms and jumpers outside.
· Reading Records and Homework diaries will be checked on a Monday and we will look forward to giving out lots of Reading Reward stickers. Parents are asked to read and discuss texts with children and record up to 4 sessions a week in the Reading Record Book per week.
· Our class Library slot is on a Tuesday, so this will be the day for changing your books, if necessary.
· For the first half term Maths and Literacy homework will be set every Friday, due for the following Friday and Spellings will be given out on a Thursday for a test on the following Thursday. Sometimes the spellings will be based on a rule, sometimes the spellings do not follow a rule but are National Curriculum 'tricky' words that the children need to be familiar with for their SATS next year.
· Every second half term, the children will get project based work, where they can choose projects to hand in fortnightly. Spellings continue in the same way.
· Other homework will be set as required, but I would strongly recommend lots of times tables practice and reading and comprehension if you would like to do more.
· Homework diaries will need to go between home and school daily so please check them regularly and feel free to use this as a method to communicate with me if need be.
'Working together to be the best we can.'