Autumn Term Projects
Year 5 have worked very hard this term to show their knowledge and learning through our project work. The children have selected from a range of options to demonstrate their understanding of Anglo-Saxon life and the story of Beowulf, the Solar System and Mathematics. As you can see from the photographs below there has been an amazing amount of effort from the children in producing their projects.
Well done, everyone.
Christmas Carols at Cedar Barn
Year 5 went to sing carols in our local community on Monday 9th December.
The audience were very impressed with their lovely singing voices and positive manner. It got everyone in the Christmas spirit and was enjoyed by all.
Well done Year 5!
For our topic this half-term, we have been learning about the Anglo-Saxons. To finish our topic we had a really fun and interesting trip to Shortenills Activity Centre. We learnt about the foods that the Anglo-Saxons ate, and went foraging in the woods. We also learnt about their lives and traditions at this time of year. To finish the day, we had a mock battle making good use of our shields!
Welcome to Year 5!
Staff in Year 5:
Teacher- Miss Campanini
Teacher (Wednesday afternoons) – Mrs Carmichael, who will be teaching RE, PSHE, French and Computing for this term.
Teaching Assistant (mornings) Mr Schofield
Teaching Assistant (afternoons) Mrs Ward
I am looking forward to working alongside these members of staff, who have a lot of experience between them.
The Curriculum News for Autumn (attached below) will outline the topics and areas of study for this term, which you may like to explore at home as well.
Other Useful Information:
· PE and Games this half term will be Football on a Thursday afternoon and Circuit training/Dance indoors on a Friday afternoon. Please make sure that your child’s kit is in school for the correct times.
Swimming kit must include towel, goggles, a swimming hat and no earrings are allowed in the pool. It is important that the children come to school with the correct PE kit. This should include trainers (clean trainers or plimsolls for indoor lessons), black shorts and a house T-shirt. On colder days, children can wear jogging bottoms and jumpers outside.
· Reading Records and Home learning diaries will be checked on a Monday and I look forward to giving out lots of Reading Reward stickers. Parents are asked to read and discuss texts with children and record up to 4 sessions a week in the Reading Record Book. The children can record for themselves when they read alone, as long as a parent signature is provided underneath the four entries. There must be a parent signature at the end of each week in their Home Learning Diaries.
· Our class Library slot is on a Tuesday, so this will be the day for changing your books, if necessary.
· In this half term, there will be one piece of English and one piece of Maths every week, given out on a Friday and due in the following Friday.
· Spellings will be set and tested on a Thursday, sometimes based on a spelling rule.
· I would strongly recommend lots of times tables practice and reading and comprehension if you would like to do more.
· Home learning diaries will need to go between home and school daily so please check them regularly and feel free to use this as a method to communicate with me, if needs be.
'Working together to be the best we can.'
Take a look at our Year 5 WOW! Writing by clicking the link below: