Welcome to Year 5!
September is here!
A very warm welcome to a new school year, with lots of new challenges and exciting learning ahead. I am looking forward to watching the children grow and develop, through being appropriately challenged across the curriculum. There is a lot to look forward to this year, from our residential trip to Green Park to fun in-school annual events. Alongside these activities there will be plenty of hard, but enjoyable, work and I will expect the children to strive in their learning, in order to achieve their full potential in everything they do.
Staff in Year 5:
Teacher- Miss Campanini
Teacher (Wednesday afternoons) – Mrs Carmichael, who will be teaching RE, PSHE, French and Outdoor PE for this half term.
Teaching Assistant (mornings) Mr Schofield
Teaching Assistant (afternoons) Miss Nicholls
I am looking forward to working alongside these members of staff, who have a lot of experience between them.
The Curriculum News for Autumn will be sent out shortly and this will outline the topics and areas of study for this term, which you may like to explore at home as well.
Other Useful Information:
· PE and Games will be on Mondays and Wednesdays this half term. Please make sure that your child’s kit is in school for the correct times. We will be having Gym indoors on a Monday with a ClubSport Dance coach and Games will be Volleyball on a Wednesday, outside when we can. It is important that the children come to school with the correct PE kit. This should include trainers (clean trainers or plimsolls for indoor lessons), black shorts and a house T-shirt. On colder days, children can wear jogging bottoms and jumpers outside.
· Reading Records and Home learning diaries will be checked on a Monday and I look forward to giving out lots of Reading Reward stickers. Parents are asked to read and discuss texts with children and record up to 4 sessions a week in the Reading Record Book. The children can record for themselves when they read alone, as long as a parent signature is provided underneath.
· Our class Library slot is on a Tuesday, so this will be the day for changing your books, if necessary.
· Maths and Literacy home learning will be set on a Friday, due for the following Friday, every week for the first half term. In the second half term, there will be project based home learning. More details on this to follow soon!
· Spellings will be set and tested on a Thursday, sometimes based on a spelling rule.
· I would strongly recommend lots of times tables practice and reading and comprehension if you would like to do more.
· Home learning diaries will need to go between home and school daily so please check them regularly and feel free to use this as a method to communicate with me, if needs be.
'Working together to be the best we can.'