Welcome to Year 5!
September is here!
A very warm welcome to a new school year, with lots of new challenges and exciting learning ahead. I will expect the children to strive in their learning, in order to achieve their full potential in everything they do. As long as they try their best, that is all we can ask of them.
Staff in Year 5:
Teacher- Miss Campanini
Teacher (Wednesday afternoons) – Mrs Carmichael who will teach Volleyball and PSHE in the first half term.
Teaching Assistant (Monday-Friday mornings) – Mr Schofield
The Curriculum News for Autumn will be sent out shortly and this will outline the topics and areas of study for this term, which you may like to explore at home as well.
Other Useful Information:
· PE and Games will be on Wednesdays and Thursdays this half term. Wednesday afternoon will be Volleyball. Please ensure the children wear suitable clothes and shoes to play sport in. PE kits will not be required.
Thursday morning will be swimming. They will change for swimming as normal. In their swimming kits, please ensure they have the following: Swimming costume/trunks, towel, goggles, swimming hat. Please name everything in your child’s swimming kit to avoid items going missing.
· Home learning will not be set straight away, apart from spellings, reading and times tables. We will let you know when this changes. When it does, the home learning diary will be checked every Monday so please ensure an adult has signed this in advance so that the home learning has been acknowledged at home. Do let me know if your child needs help with their home learning, the diary is a good way to communicate with me from home.
· The children will be using reading journals in Year 5, instead of reading records. The reading journals will be completed independently, at their leisure, with some guidance and monitoring from teachers. There will be no requirement for a signature and they will not be handed in, but do encourage your children to use them at home alongside their regular reading.
· Spellings will be set and tested on a Thursday, sometimes based on a spelling rule, and the next set of spellings will be sent out for a test the following Thursday.
· Our library day will be fortnightly on Tuesdays. We will begin our library visits a few weeks into the term, so I will let the children know when this is happening.
I will look forward to a successful year of 'Working together to be the best we can.'