Welcome to Year 2!
Welcome to the Autumn term in Year 2 at Cedar Park School. We are excited to get to know your children and move them forward with their learning in a happy, friendly and supportive environment.
This year in Year 2 the staff are as follows:
Mrs Harper will teach on Mondays and on Tuesday afternoons. Mrs Franklin will be in class on Tuesday mornings and all day on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
The Teaching Assistants in Year 2 are Mrs Owen (mornings), Mr Schofield (afternoons) and Mrs Crocker (Wednesday morning and Thursday all day).
We will be working together to challenge the children and help them achieve their ambitions and goals for Year 2.
In the first half term our main topics are Island Life which is a geography based topic relating to the storybooks about Katie Morag, The Two Marys (Mary Anning and Mary Seacole) and in the second half of the term we will study The Great Fire of London.
The Curriculum News for Autumn will be sent out shortly and this will give more details about the topics and the objectives to be covered in each subject this term.
Other Useful Information:
- We would like the children to have a book bag to carry their books and reading records to and from school as the book bags fit into children's drawers. The children need to bring their reading books and reading records to school each day as the day they are heard to read will vary. Most weeks your child will be heard to read twice so it is important to have the books in school. The children will often have already read the books they come home with at school that week but it is important to reread books to develop fluency and understanding.
- The reading records will be checked weekly. Children will be rewarded with a sticker for reading aloud to an adult four times a week and a certificate once they have earned 4 stickers. Any reading can be recorded such as reading books, library books, home story books, magazines etc. Please do ask your child lots of questions about their reading to ensure their understanding of the text as well as them reading the words accurately. Comprehension is so important!
- Our class library slot is on a Thursday and the children choose 2 books weekly to bring home.
- Games will take place on Tuesdays this half term. Please make sure that your child’s kit is in school for the correct times. It is important that the children have the correct PE kit. This should include trainers, black shorts and a house T-shirt. On colder days, children can wear jogging bottoms and jumpers outside. Please also check that everything is named.
- Swimming will be on a Thursday starting on the 19th September 2019.
- Words for writing will be sent home on a Friday. These are words for the children to learn to spell and are usually based on the Year 2 list of Common Exception Words or on the focus phonics pattern that week. The main aim is that the children can learn and apply the pattern in the words as well as the spellings. The 'words for writing' spelling check will be on a Thursday.
- One piece of home learning will be given on a Friday to be returned to school the following Thursday. This may be Maths, English, Science or Topic based.
- Your child will be provided with an afternoon snack each day, which will be a piece of fruit or vegetable. If you would like your child to have a snack in the morning, please provide a healthy option.
- Please be reminded that we request no nuts or nut products in the lunchboxes.
If you have any questions or issues please do come and see us. We are always happy to answer queries!
Once again, welcome to Year 2 and a wonderful year of learning.
Mrs Franklin and Mrs Harper.
Take a look at our Year 2 WOW! Writing by clicking the link below: