Wherever possible, home learning will be updated every day.
Spring Term in Year 2.
Welcome to the Spring term in Year 2 at Cedar Park School.
First of all I would like to say that I hope everyone has enjoyed a lovely Christmas break and wish you all a Happy New Year. On behalf of all the Year 2 staff I would like to say thank you to all the parents who contributed to the gifts we were given at the end of the Autumn term. You are all very generous and it is much appreciated.
This term in Year 2 the staff are as follows:
Mrs Franklin will be the class teacher full time with Mrs Gow teaching Year 2 on Tuesday afternoons.
The Teaching Assistants in Year 2 are Mrs Owen (mornings), Mr Schofield (afternoons) and Mrs Crocker (Wednesday morning and Thursday all day).
We will be working together to challenge the children and help them achieve their ambitions and goals for Year 2.
In the first half term our main topic is Space. We will look at the history of the Space Race including the first animals and people in space and the first man on the moon. In the second half of the term we will study Castles starting with The Battle of Hastings in 1066 and moving on to the changes that occurred in castles and thinking about the lives of people who lived in castles.
Both of these topics have been thoroughly enjoyed by Year 2 in the past as interesting and exciting to study and we aim to visit Windsor castle again to complete our Castles topic.
The Curriculum News for Spring term will be sent out shortly and this will give more details about the topics and the objectives to be covered in each subject this term.
On 22.1.2020 there will be an information evening for parents to learn about the Standard Assessment Tests that the children in Year 2 take later in the Summer term. Please do come along to find out what is involved and how you can help your child prepare for these assessments. at home.
Other Useful Information:
- The children still need a book bag to carry their reading books and home learning. Reading books will be changed on a Monday or a Tuesday each week. Please have your child's reading books in their bags on both these days. Most weeks your child will be heard to read twice so it is important to have the books in school. The children will usually have already read the books they come home with at school that week but it is important to reread books to develop fluency and understanding.
- The reading records will be checked weekly on a Thursday. Children will be rewarded with a sticker for reading aloud to an adult four times a week and a certificate once they have earned 4 stickers. Any reading can be recorded such as reading books, library books, home story books, magazines etc. Please do ask your child lots of questions about their reading to ensure their understanding of the text as well as them reading the words accurately. Comprehension is so important!
- Our class library slot is on a Thursday and the children choose 2 books weekly to bring home.
- This first half term we are lucky enough to have a PE coach teaching gymnastics to Year 2 on a Monday afternoon. Swimming will be on a Thursday. In the second half term Games and Gym will be taught by Mrs Franklin. It is important that the children have the correct PE kit. Please make sure that your child’s kit is in school for the correct times.This should include trainers, black shorts and a house T-shirt. On colder days, children can wear jogging bottoms and jumpers outside. Please also check that everything is named. A hat is needed for swimming.
- Words for writing will be sent home on a Friday. These are words for the children to learn to spell and are usually based on the Year 2 list of Common Exception Words or on the focus phonics pattern that week. The main aim is that the children can learn and apply the pattern in the words as well as the spellings. The 'words for writing' spelling check will be on a Thursday.
- One piece of home learning will be given on a Friday to be returned to school the following Thursday. This may be Maths, English, Science or Topic based.
- Your child will be provided with an afternoon snack each day, which will be a piece of fruit or vegetable. If you would like your child to have a snack in the morning, please provide a healthy option.
- Please be reminded that we request no nuts or nut products in the lunchboxes.
If you have any questions or issues please do come and see me. I am always happy to answer queries!
Take a look at our Year 2 WOW! Writing by clicking the link below: